Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Exmouth Soaking Redeemed

Morning kicked off dry but grey with a hightide so I kicked off in the direction of the cliff tops. It was mild despite the headwind and there were quite a number of passerines about about including a Song Thrush at full throttle (throstle?)
Sea watching was hard graft and I did have that sinking feeling for a while. This picked up after the tide had gone out exposing more beach and significantly rocks. 33 Oystercatcher, 4 Pied Wagtail, several Cormorant, c6 Shag & the numerous small/large gulls. I encountered many Herrings both obvious and suspicious plumage types. Caspian cant be claimed but it was good to see good numbers of GBBG.
Must mention the cliff top Goldcrest before moving on to the last gasp reward which appeared as the rain finally got down to the skin. I went to the harbour area, The Point, turned a corner and bumped into a pr RED BREASTED MERGANSER close to the beach. The male was photographable and I will do the honours when I can transfer from camera to laptop.
Just overheard a conversation; its forecast fine weather tomorrow. I wonder if tomorrow will ever come.