Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Filey Brigg and Dams


The magic continues. A small contingent of unid Geese in flight from the road into Filey (I've been told subsequently these were probably the White-fronteds). On the cliff top route to the brig Pink-footed Geese were bombing the place out in droves. 




A ringer let me photograph a Yellow-browed Warbler he was holding in his hand. While this was exciting I feel hypocritical as I believe in most cases netting is for the benefit of human interest and not birds. I had just seen an already ringed Dunnock frantically trying to escape the net; it did just as I started licking my lips!




I got a GSW in from the sea and a FBOG member assured me it was a migrant and not local from across the bay.
Also around were 2 Pied & 1 Grey Wagtail, c20 Turnstone, 5 Oystercatcher, Cormorants, 2 Razorbill, Meadow & Rock Pipits, Rock Doves, 4/5 Skylark, 1 Kestrel, 2 Redwing, 3 Blackbird, Chaffinches, Greenfinches. There was one Warbler I glimpsed which falls into the LBJ category for eternity.





Filey Dams: 1 each Pied Wagtail & Shelduck, 2 Black-tailed Godwit, Gadwall & Teal in small numbers, few Mallard, Coot & Moorhen, Tree Sparrows, 4 Blackbird, 3 Redwing, uggins of gulls.




Finally this was rounded off by a Rat on the bird table (no it weren't me).

This was an underperformance by the standards of the previous weeks but no complaints from me. FBOG not only gave me directions, one kind fellow gave me a copy of an annual bird report gratis.
On arrival back in Scarboro' I opted for a search of the South Bay which turned up: single Purple Sandpiper & Grey Heron along with 4 Redshank, c9 Oystercatcher and similar Turnstone. A lone Curlew flew briefly and settled but I failed to find it before the turning tide encouraged me to leg it.