Birdbrain Stuff

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Scalby Mills and Scarboro

A blustery N'ly this am with intermittent H2O but I still got some interesting birds.
Scalby Mills had 2 Curlew and notably 2 Swallows along with c85 Wigeon, 10 Teal, c18 GBBG and other gulls. 3 Turnstone, 1 Redshank & 7 Oystercatcher plus an unid rotter skulking in a bush.






Walking back past the Castle I nearly fell over when a Barnacle Bill or Bella popped up and posed for a pic from my mobile. I tried posting the pic from my mobile but haven't the time to resize it suitably.


Camera shots.
7 Shag were just offshore and a Redshank and Turnstone were working the harbour mud.

In the afternoon I walked around the S Bay again but the wind had increased so I started back to give the Fish Quay a reet doin'. A Peregrine Falcon came out of the blue and had a half-hearted strike at a Redshank then flew back to the cliffs.


The Fish Quay had c20 Turnstone so used to people they were running around less than 2 metres from ones feet!


Just as I was due for a good scrubbing back in the hotel up popped the Black-necked Grebe close to. There were also 3 Purple Sandpiper and a Rock Pipit also in the wider area.